Recipe to prepare this traditional cake of French origin
Made with flour, butter and egg, the galette is a traditional French recipe especially widespread in the regions of Normandy and Brittany. This specialty, which dates back to the year 1300, is usually prepared salty, although it has a sweet version to taste in the festivity of the Three Wise Kings.
Fill this base, to which we have added some aromatic herbs to give it a touch of flavor, with dehydrated mushrooms (boletus, shiitake, white mushroom, mountain gula …) from Laumont.
Ingredients for a cake of 22 centimeters
- 1 container of mixed mushrooms from Laumont
For the dough
- 250 g of flour
- 125 g of cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- 1 tablespoon of chive
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
For the filling
- 1 purple onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 150 g of cream cheese
- 50 g of cheddar cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 egg
- Thyme and chives
Directions step by step
- With the help of a kitchen robot, mix the flour with salt and pepper. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and add it little by little.
- Add the egg, cold water and herbs and continue kneading until the dough is homogeneous and has been detached from the container. It can also be made by hand.
- Cover the dough with plastic foil and store in the fridge for at least two hours.
- After this time, flour your kitchen table and stretch the dough until a thickness of half a centimeter.
- Sprinkle the base of the cake with a tablespoon of cornstarch so that the base does not absorb liquid and becomes more crunchy.
- Spread the dough with the cream cheese leaving two centimeters on the sides to close it perfectly. On the cheese, arrange the grated cheddar cheese.
- Hydrate the mushroom mixture in warm water for one hour.
- In a frying pan, fry the chopped garlic with the olive oil. Add the purple onion and let it simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Incorporate fresh thyme.
- Raise the heat and sauté the mushrooms previously drained. Season and reserve.
- Arrange the mushrooms over the cheeses (cream and cheddar). Paint the edges with beaten egg and fold the dough inwards.
- Bake at 180 degrees only from the bottom for 30 minutes. Finish baking it from the top for 15 more minutes or until it is crisp and golden brown.
- You can use the water previously used to hydrate the mushrooms to make, for example, a mushroom risotto or as a broth for rice.
You can find all Laumont products by clicking here.