A trip to the taste of Middle East
From Libyan origin, the shakshuka has become a hallmark of the Middle East. This dish has three fundamental ingredients: tomatoes, hot sauce and eggs. First, the sauce is prepared in a pan with fresh sliced tomatoes, where the spicy touch should never be missed. This way, we will get to the typical sauce of North Africa based on garlic, paprika and hot peppers, filfel chuma, or the well-known harissa that carries the previous ingredients with a touch of cumin and lemon. Finally, we end it breaking some eggs that are cooked in the same sauce.
Another particularity is that the shakshuka should be cooked in the same serving pan. This makes it perfect as in “Doctor Shakshuka”, a restaurant in Jaffa, the old area of Tel Aviv (Israel), one of the key places to visit to try this dish.
Prepare a pan and a good piece of bread to savor this preparation in harmony with an Acqua Panna.
Ingredients for 2-4 servings
For the hot pepper sauce or harissa
- 1 red pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small purple onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 chillies
- ½ tablespoon of tomato concentrate
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
For the shakshuka
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce or harissa
- 2 teaspoons of tomato concentrate
- 2 large red peppers
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 8 black olives without the bone
- 8 green olives without the bone
- Ground black pepper
- 4 camper eggs
- 4 egg yolks
Elaboration step by step
For hot pepper sauce or harissa
- Roast the red pepper in the oven, under the grill, at 180ºC for about 25 minutes or until the skin is singed. Flip it during the process so that the heat reaches all its sides. Move it to a deep container and cover it with clear plastic film, letting it sweat inside until it is completely cooled. Then peel and remove the seeds.
- In a frying pan without any oil, over low heat, toast the coriander, caraway and caraway seeds for a couple of minutes. Transfer to a mortar and grind
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion, peeled and chopped, the garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped also, and the chilli peppers, without seeds and chopped. Sauté for 10-12 minutes or until the mixture starts to caramelize.
- Grind all ingredients with a powerful mixer until a smooth paste is obtained.
For the shakshuka
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the spicy pepper sauce or harissa, the tomato concentrate, the peppers, ginned and diced, the garlic cloves, peeled and chopped, and the ground cumin. Sauté for 8 minutes over medium heat or until the pepper cubes are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, washed and chopped, and the chopped black and green olives. Season to taste and cook for 10 more minutes to obtain a homogeneous and thick sauce.
- With the back of a spoon, make eight holes in the sauce and deposit the eggs and the yolks in each of them. Cook over low heat for about 8-10 minutes or until the whites are curdled and the yolks are liquid.
- Serve immediately sprinkling fresh chopped parsley on the surface and accompanying with Greek yogurt and pitta bread (optional).
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’. By Juan Muñoz Ramos.
We propose these somewhat rare, but very tasty and exclusive harmonies. As always, a magna water, a water whose sapidity brings encouragement and freshness to our senses. We talk about Acqua Panna water. On the other hand, Chivite 125 Anniversary, a pink wine, little known in its style. A rosé of Garnacha and Tempranillo with 12 months of aging in French oak barrels.
Now you will understand why Acqua Panna, because the union of fine woods, egg yolk and spicy tomato sauce needs a vigor with personality to reach a perfect balance. You will tell me when you have tasted it, in a calm way and joining water, wine and dish. You will be pleasantly surprised and this is our goal: the happiness of our friends.
- For the egg whites to set and the yolks to be liquid, you can stir the white with the tip of the knife mixing with the sauce. Be careful not to prick the yolks.
- If you cover the pan after adding the eggs, the cooking will be faster.
- In addition to red pepper and tomato, the sauce can be enriched with onion and green pepper.
- The spicy sauce of pepper or harissa is very powerful and should be used with care, especially if your tolerance to spicy food is low. In that case, reduce the amount or dispense it completely.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.
Don’t miss this Marinated Salmon, here you can find the step by step recipe!