An irresistible recipe to fall into the sweetest temptation
Chocolate is the greatest pleasure of all of us with a sweet tooth. The recipes made with this sweet temptation are very varied, from the shakes to the chocolate cake filled with hazelnut cream, to the hot chocolate coulant of the famous French chef Michel Bras.
The cake we present is made with cocoa, cocoa butter, sugar and, in some cases, milk powder. It was Hernán Cortés who was in charge of introducing cocoa into western culture. The conqueror received beans of this ingredient with which he prepared a brew and distributed it among his soldiers. Seeing that they were more energetic and happy, he took the recipe for his long trips.
Reinvent your chocolate cake with this suggestive vertical recipe of cocoa sponge cake and truffle. Irresistible!
Ingredients for a cake of 10-12 servings
For the cooked truffle
- 300 g of dark chocolate for desserts
- 1 liter of liquid cream to mount (35% Fat)
- 100 g of icing sugar
For the ganache of dark chocolate
- 250 ml of liquid cream
- 200 g of dark chocolate for desserts
- 50 g of butter at room temperature
- For the sponge cake
- 300 g of ground almonds
- 80 g of wheat flour
- 300 g of egg white
- 60 g of sugar
- 8 medium eggs
- 300 g of icing sugar
- 60 g of melted butter
Elaboration step by step
For the cooked truffle
- Chop the chocolate, place it in a bowl and melt it in bain-marie or in the microwave. If we opt for the latter, give a 30 seconds heat stroke and stir between heat blows so that the chocolate melts slowly and does not burn.
- Separate 200 ml of liquid cream and heat slightly in the microwave or in a small pan. Add to the melted chocolate, little by little, while stirring. Temper the mixture before continuing.
- Beat the cream, which must be very cold, together with the icing sugar until it is firm but careful not to overdo it because it can be break.
- Add little by little the previous mixture, already tempered, and stir well until integrating before adding more quantity.
- Keep it a minimum of two hours in the fridge so that it takes shape.
For the ganache of dark chocolate
- Heat the liquid cream in a small pot on the stove or in the microwave, without letting it boil.
- Chop the chocolate and place it in a deep bowl.
- Add the hot cream and let the chocolate melt without touching. After 10 minutes, stir until homogenized.
- Finally, when the mixture is still hot, add the butter in small pieces and stir to mix well.
- We will reserve this until the moment of decorating.
For the sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (top and bottom heat).
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper, covering the sides.
- Sift wheat flour and the ground almonds.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar until stiff.
- Then, beat the eggs together with the icing sugar until it triples its volume. Slowly add the melted butter and stir. Add the flour and almonds and the egg whites (snow point), little by little, stirring with envolving movements so that the mixture does not lose the air incorporated with the shake.
- Spread the mixture on the two baking trays, flattening it well so that it is of equal thickness throughout the surface.
- Bake each tray separately for 10 minutes.
- Allow them to cool down before assembling the cake.
Finish and presentation
- We cut the sponge sheets into strips 10 cm thick and, with great care, we take them off the sulphurous paper but leaving them on it.
- We spread a layer of truffle on each strip of cake and roll up forming a single cylinder with all of them.
- We start with the first strip of sponge cake, rolling on its narrowest side. We place the end of the cylinder next to the beginning of the next cake strip. Roll up again, ensuring that there are no empty spaces between one strip and another. Repeat the operation until you finish with all the sponge cake strips.
- Wrap in greaseproof paper, then in a kitchen towel and let it rest in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours, better if it is overnight. The cake is very fragile.
- We match the ends, cutting with a serrated knife to level. Place the cylinder on the flat base and adjust the outline with your hands, to give it a circular shape (the lower part will have remained flat during rest).
- We cover the sides and the surface with truffle, helping us with a smooth spatula and a pastry bag with a smooth round mouthpiece to cover the lower part with little balls.
- Then, we lightly heat the chocolate ganache and spread it over the surface. We drop frills on the sides to give it a decorative touch.
- Finish with currants, fresh mint, chocolate shavings or any other type of decoration you like.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’. By Juan Muñoz Ramos.
As you can see, we like to surprise you with taste and elegance, and that’s why we break a bit the traditional molds by offering you a dish, some waters and a drink or a wine derivative as it is this special vermouth.
First, and as always, before this succulent chocolate a good sip of Acqua Panna for cleaning, regenerationing and hydrating our body leaving the papillae perfect. Then, chocolate with vermouth, but with Vermut Padró Blanco Special Reserve with classic sweet wine, aging at high levels and a creamy Porto background, because chocolate truffle and more chocolate – what a wonder – needs to be able to maintain the flavors and at the same time contribute a fresh and lasting balance, and this is the function of S.Pellegrino. Maintain flavors and bring balance and an elegant sapidity. The truth is that you can not ask for much more, well yes, returning again to the union of these three sensations: chocolate-vermouth-S.Pellegrino. It is worth sinning.
- Resting the cake cylinder is essential for the success of this elaboration. Better to let it sit in the fridge overnight.
- To make the assembly of the cake easier, transfer the rolled cake to the freezer a couple of hours before decorating. This way it takes consistency and allows itself to be handled without problems.
- The decoration can be adjusted to taste and use also white chocolate, sprinkles, etc.
Make it a perfect meal with our Wellington Turkey, here you can find the step by step recipe.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.